Before the foundation of Saint Andrew’s Parish, Catholics living in the area attended Saint Mary’s in Duntocher (1841), The Immaculate Conception in Maryhill (1851) and then St Joseph’s in Milngavie (1871). Saint Peter’s College, the Archdiocesan Seminary, was transferred from the Partickhill area of Glasgow to Bearsden in 1892. The original library in the college was the first chapel to serve the Bearsden area.
However, in 1906 when the coming of the railway was increasing the population, a new chapel was opened for the use of college staff, students and local people. After the disastrous fire that destroyed the college, Saint Josephs in Milngavie served Bearsden. Saint Andrew’s Parish was established nine years after Bearsden became a burgh and the original Church was opened in 1967.
The present Church was opened in 1987.